Winchfield is a village in North East Hampshire. It is old: older than its neighbour Fleet. It has three centres: the Hurst, the area around the Church and that around the station. In between these is farmland and woods.
The Hurst is on the eastern side, closest the Dogmersfield and Fleet and has one pub – The Barley Mow, a wharf for the Basingstoke canal, the old Workhouse – now converted into dwellings and a number of houses
The Church is at the Southern corner and is close to Odiham. Apart from the Church, there was a school, which has been converted into dwellings and some other houses.
The railway station is at the north-western corner of the village. There is a pub – the Winchfield arms, the village hall and more houses. There is housing estate, Beauclerk Green, to the south of the station. Between 1838 and 1839, Shapley Hill – as this part of Winchfield was called at that time – was the end of the line. It took that time to make the cutting towards Hook. In those days, one of the houses, the Chase, was a sorting office. Animals were brought from Blackbush market and loaded onto trains bound for London. Even now, Winchfield is the first rural station on the line from Waterloo. Steam excursion trains tend to stop at Winchfield for water. This makes it a favorite for Trainspotters.